Sunday, March 6, 2011

Meatless Monday ideas

The Word of Wisdom says a lot of things that we know and have down pat.  We know not to smoke, drink alcohol, coffee, or tea, and to not use drugs.  However, there is a part that is not as emphasized that speaks of eating grains and fruits in their season.  And probably the hardest part, at least for me, is that meat, while ordained for our use, is to be eaten sparingly.  So, in that light I present to you Meatless Monday! 

It also should be noted that having at least one vegetarian/meatless meal a week will greatly reduce your grocery bill.  A head of lettuce or can of beans is significantly less expensive than a pound of ground beef.  Just sayin'.  However, the point of Meatless Monday is not to make you have to gag your dinner down.  No, in fact there are many many meat free dishes that are exceptionally satisfying and incredibly tasty!  And that's what we hope to bring to you -- veggie main dishes that are tantalizing to the taste buds!

And we will.  Next week.  This week I will present some ideas to help get your gears turning when it comes to veggie dishes. 

-Pasta is a super easy way to have a meat free dish.  You don't even have to add veggies to it, but why not?!  I'm a big fan of broccoli and penne with ricotta.  I'll share that recipe later so keep watching.

- There is also the option of veggie burgers, either pre-made patties or you can make them yourself.  (Again, watch for the recipe!)  The key here is to make sure your bun is super tasty.  I'd suggest something whole grain and toasted. 

- Breakfast...pancakes do not have meat in them.  At least I've never had one.  Nor do waffles or french toast.  Scramble some eggs for protein and you're ready to roll. 

- You can use beans in place of meat or to stretch meat out in more recipes than you would think.  Case in point, Mom's enchilada recipe says that she uses a can or two of beans sometimes.  But wait, there's more!...later. 

- There are a ton of soup options that are meatless!  A ton.  I don't think I'm exaggerating either. 

I hope those got you thinking and I hope you'll join us in trying to be a little more healthy.  I don't know about you but when I run, I get weary.  ;) 

Stay tuned for the FHE treat of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment