Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Grand Granola

I get up at 5:00 a.m., so breakfast really shouldn't be a problem. But five in the morning is my only time when the phone's not ringing and nobody needs me and I have time to just sit and read my scriptures and ponder.
So this is one of my favorite "there's-a-delicious-nutritious-breakfast-already-in-the-pantry-so-I-don't-have-to-feel-guilty-that-I'm-not-in-the-kitchen-"making"-breakfast" recipes. In fact, I use it so much, my cook book opens right to that page.


Grand Granola



2 cups rolled oats, quick-cooking or old fashioned
1/2 cups slivered almonds
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup honey or molasses
2 cups raisins (I let my family add these if they want to their own bowls)

In a mixing bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Melt butter or margarine and honey together in a small saucepan. Pour over dry ingredients, and blend well. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven , and add raisins. Store in an air-tight container. Makes 6 to 7 cups.

Note: Diced dates, dried apricots, cherries, cranberries or blueberries may be substituted for the raisins. Cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds or other nuts may be used in place of the almonds. I always double this recipe and I keep the same cooking time. So if you aren't doubling, yours may turn out a bit more toasty than mine. :)

from: "The Natural Nine: Cooking with Whole Grains" by: Lorraine D. Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment