Monday, March 21, 2011

Macho Nachos

First of all, I have to apologize for the hour.  This is technically for Meatless Monday but it is not coming in until 9:40 PM.  Suffice it to say I was simply not home all day and my baby has been in need of his mother all evening.  I think he is finally asleep now so I'll share with you a recipe that really allows you to sort of purge your pantry and veggie drawer.  It also takes something that is sort of naughty and turns it into something very nice.  :) 



Macho Nachos
Tortilla chips
Red kidney beans or black beans (drained and rinsed)
diced Jalapenos or diced green chiles
Cheese of choice (I use extra sharp cheddar cheese)
Cumin, Garlic powder, Chili powder or Cheyenne pepper

That's basically the gist of it.  Then you can add what ever other veggies you have or want to put on there.

Corn
Black olives
Bell pepper
Avocado 
Tomato

Layer the chips on a plate that can be put in the microwave or a dish that is oven safe.  Top with drained beans and season to taste with seasonings.  (The cumin is what's going to give it that smokey "Mexican" flavor.)  Add jalapenos and whatever veggies you like and top with cheese.  (I would leave the avocado and tomato until after you have toasted the nachos.)  You could make multiple layers if you wish-- I usually do.  Then either microwave or broil until the cheese is nice and melted.  Top with avocado and tomato if desired and watch these fake-out nachos disappear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment